So I've decided to call this a "therapy share." Lately I've been struggling with my post eating disorder self. . .I've been in recovery from anorexia/bulimia for about 6 years now and I am having a lot of really hard days where I return to my irrational thinking about myself. I realize that even when I was thin I thought I was hideously fat, but I am convinced that somehow the thinner me was more beautiful, more talented, more likable, a better person, worthy of more love, full of better ideas and definitely just an all around better person. Logically I know this is not the whole truth, I may have felt all of those things, but I was also surviving on Dots and Diet Coke and single handedly keeping the ephedrine company in business. There wasn't a day that went by when I wasn't preoccupied with ME. . .I also am frustratedly realizing that although my recovery from one side of eating disorders is behind me (most days) I have still managed to keep my dependence on food related control in the forefront. I now eat when I'm happy, sad, angry, depressed, scared, or just because I hate eating and can't think of how to beat all this. . .how loser lamespice is that?
what I once thought was my "healthy weight" and out of the scary "too skinny" phaseSo now I may lack the confidence and self worth that I so desire and I may need a lot more therapy to get to a healthy weight for me . . . but with my weight gain I have also gained a greater appreciation for the human body. I saw how giving up the anorexic behaviors allowed me to literally grow two amazing human beings inside of me. . .I am amazed each day that God has allowed me the health that I do have, my heart is still working and I was able to have two beautiful children despite all the crazy things i did to destroy this body I dwell in.
Now my "fat" self
So for now, I am a little fat. . .I am a lot unhappy and embarrassed by being fat. . .it feels as terrible as I imagined it would feel when I was beginning recovery . . .and I fight the urges everyday that plague me. . .but I'm fighting and for now that will do . . .
"It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, [but] it is impossible to find it elsewhere."
Agnes Repplier
2 comments:
You hang in there girl! I think you look way better prego or with just a little weight on you... you were way to skinny in the other picture... you get to the point where you are so skinny, you look sick! I love what you said about the weight and being able to grow your two precious little girls! I know you would weight 500 lbs if you had to to get those cuties, and so would I! My husband always says he likes some meat on my bones, other wise he'd break me when he was hugging me... he says most men feel that way... I don't know, but I'm going with what he says!!!!! You sould too! You are BEAUTIFUL!!!
You are super beautiful! Inside and out. I love your Seattle brunette hair too. I think a lot of girls feel the same way that you do about our self images. That self acceptance and peace within ourselves can only come from within, and if I knew how to find that for myself and others, I'd be crazy rich! Life is such a journey right? :) My sister and I say that our extra pounds count for food storage, it's just portable!
Post a Comment