Never underestimate the power of a seven year old to render you completely speechless. This morning at scriptures we were studying about Moses and the ten commandments and everything was going really smoothly.
1. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me
2. Thou shalt not make into thee any graven image
3. Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain. Avonleah says she tells people at school to "please do not say oh my G-O-D because it makes her sad and it's like making fun of Jesus!"
We continue on and things are going smoothly until number
7. Thou shalt not commit adultery...at this point of course Avonleah pipes up and asks if committing adultery is like "cheating" ...I choke on milk, cough a little, try to hide my shock...ummm wow where did you hear about cheating dear (this is not a topic we just flippantly discuss over the dinner table). She goes on to explain that she's heard it while "eavesdropping on adult conversations" ha ha! I ask her what she thinks it means because that's the easiest thing to do to buy yourself some time to gather your thoughts...she says it's like kissing people before you're married or kissing someone besides your spouse when you're not married "except Dad can kiss his mom right mama?!" So I begin explaining further what the commandment means and all of the sudden I realize that I can't say "sleeping around or having sexual relations outside of marriage" since we haven't given her those terms yet and she still talks in scientific terms and says "breeding" ha ha! So in the end we determine that not committing adultery means we don't kiss or have babies before we're married and we stay true to our spouse after marriage...I need a parenting manual for this child...whew that was a fun breakfast conversation...

No comments:
Post a Comment