Saturday, May 22, 2010

15 Years . . .I'm so old!

Fifteen years ago this month I graduated from High School . . .and 1995 was awesome because:
TLC was urging us "don't go chasing waterfalls", BoyzIIMen were "on Bended Knee" singing love to all us girls, Bryan Adams was teaching men everyone about how to "really love a woman" and Coolio was rocking the Gangsta Paradise.  I hear DVD's became a reality this year but I never even heard about that, Ebay and Yahoo were launched but i passed my typing class on an old fashioned typewriter and typed my papers on a Green Screen DOS computer,Windows 95 came out sometime this year . . .I think we had cordless phones instead of cell phones and we passed lots of actual notes in class instead of texting secretly.
All of my friends and I were debating whether to break our no R rated movies rule to see Braveheart but I think we all watched Jumanji or Batman Forever instead.  I spent the year deciding whether to "go out" with the good boys or the wild ones and my BFF and I decided to go wild and ask the non church going boys to the Girls Choice Dance. . . boy did we hear some fall out from that. . .turned out they were tons of fun and quite the gentlemen. . .
I was too busy to really date anyone because I was fantasizing about being a huge star . . .in the drama department (is that a possibility), pretending to be busy with Student Council but really missing lots of class to plan events we thought would impact the world, enjoying the Glee Club before Glee Clubs were really cool, and working hard to get straight A's so I could get into a good college.  I don't think back on high school as my "glory days" but I had a lot of fun.  Oh my gosh I was a total lamespice dorkface wasn't I?! 
 I had really good friends and really good teachers. . .and 15 years later. . .I'm pretty much the same, I tried really hard to be something different in my twenties but I've become comfortable in my own skin now and I went back to my roots, found strength in God and I have no regrets other than that I am not able to raise my own children in such a tight knit community.  I do hope that my girls with be able to find good friends who will be good influences and that school with be a place of not only learning academically but a place of learning to become a fine upstanding citizen in the world who does their part to make the world a better place.  

5 comments:

Lexi said...

Yeah yeah yeah! Looks like you rocked the 90s!

Erica Shurter said...

ah ha ha ha! Those were the days hun!? If you're really old, what does that make me???? I saw in the paper the other day all the kids that are graduating from show low, and they are the kids I had in my student teaching class!!!! I really feel old! :)

Marci said...

So in love with your pink ropers!
Mine were red! What a cutie...this year is my 20th!

Jennifer Owens said...

Love the pix! Fun times!

BeckyinQC said...

Ha! I love this post! I think you were a cute 90s girl! I so enjoyed all the pictures!