So the big question of the day is modesty here at our house. Many mothers have disagreed with my stance that leggings are not pants and should not be used to "modisty" a mini skirt or tunic shirt. That is simply my personal opinion and one that has been set forth as the standard of modesty in our family. So this morning Avonleah, who for the record never likes to pick out her own clothes, comes out with a darling outfit consisting of a wannabe tunic long shirt, and some leggings. I first complimented her on picking out her very own outfit that "almost" matched ha ha! And then I told her that I wasn't quite sure her tunic would match our "kneel down" rule. (Kneel down and if your skirt/shorts touch the floor you're good). This started a whole drama worthy of a genuine Oscar. I am apparently "unfair" and when she "doesn't live here leggings will be modest." Of course I tell her it's her choice but that I am not taking her to school in that outfit although I'd be glad to help her find a similar outfit with a longer dress, and I will call and tell the school she is absent because she refuses to wear appropriate clothing.
It all turned out fine in the end and she was happy with her new outfit choice and thought she looked super cute but the question still stands. . .are leggings modest? What do you think? I realize she's only 6 1/2 but at what age do we as Latter-day Saints set the modesty bar according to the For Strength of Youth Pamphlet?
2 comments:
My Singles Ward in college had to address this very issue. Girls were showing up to church in what would normally be immodest outfits (but they thought it was modest if paired with leggings). The bishopric had a special meeting one Sunday to talk about the issue and asked girls to dress in clothes that were modest with or without leggings.
Start as early as possible. Train up a child in the way she should go...
Post a Comment