Friday, February 4, 2011

Are You Smarter Than a Kindergartner?

"My name is Kayrena and I am not smarter than my Kindergartner"
 Me:"You need to draw and label a picture of insects that fly"
Avonleah: "Ok I know like a ton cuz I just read a book from the library about bugs"
Me: "Umm what is that long thing coming out of the bee?" (Srsly I was thinking she was going to start laughing and say it was an elephant bee or something silly like that because she's really imaginative)
Avonleah: "Uh mom that's the proboscis, it's what they use to suck up the nectar, butterflies have it too"
Me: *facepalm* " of course it is I was just wondering if you knew what it was"  (WHAT?)



It seems that since Avonleah has learned to read she has been harder to keep track of.  I'm constantly wondering where she is at only to find her sitting in a corner/behind the couch/under the table and anywhere else out of sight reading a book.  She is constantly almost late for school because she attempts to read her book while getting dressed, brushing her teeth and putting her shoes on. I'm like a broken record constantly saying "stop reading and get your clothes on/brush your teeth/get your chores done. . "  I'm torn between wanting her to love reading and actually getting her to participate in reality! Last night I could hear rustling in her room and found her curled under the covers with a flashlight and a Junie B. Jones book furiously trying to finish just one more chapter! That reminds me of the time I got caught reading under the covers and got my book and flashlight taken away,  so I furiously wrote a mean note to my Dad that I slipped under his door 10 minutes later that said, "you might be able to stop me from reading tonight but you can't stop me from doing what I want forever!"  I guess I should just gear up for a mean note from Avonleah in my future! Sorry Dad!

Avonleah: "I was really distressed at school today."
Me: "oh, and what does 'distressed' actually mean?"
Avonleah: "it means like that I was really frustrated and nervous"
Me: *shocked* "you're exactly right, now what distressed you today?"
Avonleah: "I got lost on my way to reading group and had to ask for help"

later that day  . . .

Avonleah: "Jeremiah is like 200% annoying"
Me: "really, and why is that?"
Avonleah: "he like copies everything I say and how I color and looks at my paper all the time . . .actually he's like 2000% annoying"

Oh just wait. . .it will get worse before it gets better Avonleah!!

No comments: