Sunday, December 26, 2010

Cookies and Candy Oh My!


Every year my mom makes a buffet table of Christmas candy and cookies.  I'm not joking. . .it's literally a buffet table of goodies.  She sets it out in the cold garage and I find myself sneaking out there at least every half hour to peruse the items.  I lack the will power to limit myself to once or twice a day, it's like here a little chocolate, there a little caramel, a dab of pinoche and a bit of toffee.  It's like living in See's candies and having unlimited access!  Too bad it's not calorie free!  When my in-laws asked me if I would help with the Christmas Eve dinner I immediately thought of my mom's buffet and got to work!!  Wow I am not sure I was prepared for the task ahead of me especially trying to do it with two wonderful "helpers" in the kitchen. . .I had to spend a little time on YouTube figuring out "hard ball stage" and "soft ball stage" and then I spent a little time on the phone with my sister--in-law Cathy because she's like the dipping chocolate guru!  Needless to say, everything turned out really great!  I did learn that old fashioned hard tack candy does not work in the humidity of Washington. . it turns into a hard sticky mass of cavity losing mess! I have to brag a little because this is my first attempt at making some Christmas candy traditions of my own.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

we thank you for all your wonderful work!! It was amazing and your organizational skills are amazing!