Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pierced Ears


Once upon a time I was four years old and my mom owned a salon called Kaylma's Kreations. I spent early mornings watching my mom do endless shampoo sets and perms (this was the 80's) and listening to women gossip about everything. My big brother and I spent the evening folding endless piles of shampoo towels and rubbing lotion into mom's tired feet. . .and I relished in the smells of developer and perms and hairsprays. The sound of blow dryers and the clicking of the comb on the curling iron. I loved helping wash the perm rods and removing all the perm papers from the shafts of the rods, it was such a part of my life that I still walk into a salon and take a deep nostalgic breath and love that pungent odor. Anyway, one evening my mother and Aunt decided it was time to pierce my ears so out came the ice, rubbing alcohol, the needle and matches and the potato cut in half. And there in the home of my grandmother surrounded by cousins and loved ones I was blessed with earrings!
Of course I have nothing against ear piercing but all the same I wasn't pushing Avonleah to get hers done anytime soon. I thought when she's ready she'll ask and then I'll be ready. . .well it happened she finally got her wish and was super brave and has been amazingly responsible in cleaning them and dealing with the soreness. She is so cute and after my initial heartache of having my baby grow up so fast I look at her and remember exactly how it felt to want to have my own earrings like my mother! P.S. don't believe Claire's Boutique when they say "Free Ear Piercing". . .it's far from free!

2 comments:

Lexi said...

For some reason this post made me think of Steel Magnolias. I'm amazed that you have the strong stomach to pierce someone's ears! I hope you are LOVING life in your new place. I want to come see it (and you of course) sometime soon. Jeff and I need to bring a housewarming gift.

Erica Shurter said...

How sweet! I remember your mom always giving me and my mom perms! :) Good times!