Monday, February 22, 2010

The Birds and the Bees

Avonleah browses and asks to be read this My First Encyclopedia book we have ALL THE TIME. Thankfully she usually sticks to the dinosaur and vampire bat pages but lately it's all about the human body and babies and such. . you know mammal stuff. . .so after a particularly interesting Q&A about how babies start growing and a particularly telling reading from the Encyclopedia I forgot to add the "this is something we only talk about at home with our mom and dad because it involves private parts of our bodies clause" and here's what happened at the doctor's office. . .

Dr. Mealer: So Avonleah, you still going to be a doctor someday like me?
Avonleah: Oh yes, but I'm going to be a mom because I'm a girl and girls have eggs and boys have . . .ummm . . . these pointy things that poke into the egg and then a baby starts to grow. . .
Dr. Mealer: Wow you're so right and really smart too. . .(all the while he's smiling at me as I'm sitting there mortified!)

SRSLY?!! POKE?! I could have died . . .why couldn't she have remembered the word "sperm" it's so much better than "pointy things that poke" I can hardly wait until she puts two and two together and notices what the other pictures in the book are about. . .I'm so in trouble. . .I need a manual for this parenting stuff.

4 comments:

Erica Shurter said...

ah ha ha ha!!!! Glad it's you and not me!!! Brian asked me the other day, "How do baby horses get into their mom's tummies?" I said, God put it their... and that was enough for him... We will see how long that one will last! :) Great Picture by the way!

Sonda Bryce said...

This is so a comment one of my kids would make and well... poke can be pretty accurate! Love you bunches and love the family pic! You look amazing AND happy! Love you!

curly girl said...

I'm sure it made Dr Mealer's DAY! :)

Lexi said...

So here's the scoop: I have 2 computers, a Mac and a laptop PC. I use the mac 90% of the time, but for some reason it just can't handle your blog. It does fine on Google Reader, but when I go to your actual blog to comment, the computer freezes up every single time.

So I have all of these comments I want to write, and tell you how hilarious you are and what a good writer you are, but I always forget to look it up again on my laptop.

So long story short, I DO read your blog and I LOVE it. And this last post was hilarious. I told Jeff about it and we had a good laugh.