


I'll never understand why it is as parents we think it's a good idea to hand our children a knife and a pumpkin and say, "even though knives are usually off limits here's one you can use to carve this huge pumpkin, try not to poke your eye out and yes it's sharp so watch your little fingers!" Three Halloweens later and I am still playing the naive parent, buying into the whole Halloween Holiday with ghoulish costumes, candy overload, and of course pumpkin carving. Avonleah, (i.e. Scott), worked hard on this fun ghost, which reminds me, what happened to carving the traditional triangle eyed, toothy grinned pumpkins of our childhoods? I must be getting old and less and less creative because we used a stencil to carve a picture perfect pumpkin! In the end it turned out fun and although Avonleah gave up waiting for Scott to giver her a turn to wield the knife about 15 minutes into the ordeal, she did at least pull some of the slimy seeds out before needing to wash her hands and use hand sanitizer! The other two pumpkins were carved by her Aunt Emily and Aunt Debra who spent the better part of the afternoon on their creations!
1 comment:
You know, they make safety knives for such occasions, right? I am afraid of carving pumpkins 'cause when I was in 6th grade I was all full of myself & insisted that I could carve my own pumpkin - wouldn't listen to my parent's suggestions that perhaps I should dry my hands off before stabbing the knife in the pumpkin, and yep - right down the blade went my hand. I only cut my pinkie, but it was deep enough to need stitches (which my dad could do right there in the living room in the ol la-z-boy). I am still scarred (figuratively and literally). In fact, we didn't even carve pumpkins this year! Our pumpkin from Maris Farms is still sitting outside. I tried to sell the girls that "hooray! Now we can use it for a Thanksgiving decoration! How eco friendly of us!" but I'm not sure I got anywhere...
Post a Comment