Monday, July 21, 2008

We recently inherited a bicycle to upgrade Avonleah's way too little tricycle. After a lengthy repair session including the installation of training wheels and lots of Daddy Daughter tool time, she headed out into the big world of "real" bike riding. For everyone having a small heart attack at the sight of a child without a helmet on a bicycle, please breathe we will get her one . . .eventually . . .in the meantime I assuage myself with the knowledge that I never even once wore a helmet as a child and I did not fall victim to a cracked noggin or coma. I kept telling her to smile and these are the faces I got so I'm not sure what to interpret as far as her thoughts on bike riding. Her first attempt to go down the steep driveway led to a hilarious attempt to completely ditch the bicycle instead of pushing on the brakes. After a lot of coaxing about how scraped elbows are part of bike riding and "you're so brave" pep talks she finally got going and she is just so darn cute to watch.

3 comments:

curly girl said...

What a cute bike, and funny expressions. When my girls get road rash, I tell them, "Look! Now you have 'Knees of Summer!'"

I just got helmets for the girls at the fire station and they are awesome, and only $7! By far the best helmets we've ever had. We do have some extras now, if you want to use them. I, too, survived w/o a helmet, but I've been afraid that if I let my kids ride w/o them, they will fight me about it when I do want them to wear one! But, I'm sure Avonleah is much more easy-going and reasonable than my girls... ;)

Afuvai Family said...

Happy Anniversary you two!!!! Ave looks so cute on that bike- oh and sure she'll be a dare vdeil soon enough! Happy biking!

Markowski Family said...

Kayrena and Scott!
I absolutely love your blog, Avonleah is just the cutest, and The Ultimate Gift has got to be my very most favorite book/movie!!
Heidi