When I was a kid all my cousins and sisters and I would pull on our coulottes and vintage t-shirts followed by our borrowed-from-our-brothers stripey tube socks, then grab our Strawberry Shortcake Roller Skates, and run down the cindered dirt roads to the Vernon School, where the dust and dirt gave way to the only spot of concrete in our little town. We would spend hours pretending to be the next roller disco diva and in true celebrity fashion we would rehearse routines full of amazing tricks like sliding underneath each other's legs and holding hands while spinning wildly on the 5'x5' piece of concrete heaven. After our one millionth run-through we'd settle down taking care not to let our bare legged skin touch the "Arizona hot" cement. We'd savor freshly picked "Indian Biscuits", and although our parents told us not to, we'd sneak a metallic tasting drink out the water faucet settled next to the schoolhouse.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Roller Rink Cha Cha!
When I was a kid all my cousins and sisters and I would pull on our coulottes and vintage t-shirts followed by our borrowed-from-our-brothers stripey tube socks, then grab our Strawberry Shortcake Roller Skates, and run down the cindered dirt roads to the Vernon School, where the dust and dirt gave way to the only spot of concrete in our little town. We would spend hours pretending to be the next roller disco diva and in true celebrity fashion we would rehearse routines full of amazing tricks like sliding underneath each other's legs and holding hands while spinning wildly on the 5'x5' piece of concrete heaven. After our one millionth run-through we'd settle down taking care not to let our bare legged skin touch the "Arizona hot" cement. We'd savor freshly picked "Indian Biscuits", and although our parents told us not to, we'd sneak a metallic tasting drink out the water faucet settled next to the schoolhouse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, I have such happy childhood memories of the "Skatin' Gator" roller rink in my little town. Sadly, neither of my girls have mastered this art. That's ok, as I never conquered skating backward, which was really humiliating on couple skate, when we had to just hold hands instead of skate like we were dancing...
You have a natural, there!!!
So funny! Indian biscuits were such a treat! I love and miss you so much!
Post a Comment