Friday, October 5, 2012

Funny Things

Kids always seem to say the funniest things and I try to write them down when they do because I want to remember them on the days when everything seems overwhelming or I'm forgetting to be grateful for the small things.  Here's a few funnies from the mouth of our amazing seven year old, Avonleah.

Avonleah has become a little more vocally moody as she's gotten closer to age 8.  I'm not sure if this is just a developmental milestone or a little preview of what teenage years may look like but it does lend us some trying and hilariously funny moments.  One particular day Avonleah came home from school needing A LOT of attention for whatever reason.  Everything we said or did was just not fulfilling her unrealistic demands.  On top of that Scott was working very hard on a work project and I was trying to finish the financial audit for the PTA and we were struggling to find a spare moment to meet her demands.  Here's how the afternoon played out. (and as a side note I am aware that in my failure to be a perfect parent I should have recognized that children are always more important than anything else . .I'm still working on being perfect ha ha!)

Avonleah: Dad, will you play the game of Life with me?
Dad: I will after dinner, I'm on a conference call and can't right now.
Avonleah: Mom, can you play squinkies or legos with me?
Mom:  I need just 15 more minutes to finish up this stuff then I'm all yours.
Avonleah (in a defiantly dramatic outburst): You guys never ever ever have time for me . . .I CAN'T BELIEVE I WAITED ALL DAY FOR THIS!

Whew. . .I'm so excited for thirteen years old!

On a good note most days Avonleah has inherited Scott's amazing almost utopian style idealism and optimism.  So the other day we were driving past this run down shack of a house, with a yard full of dandelions and a rickety "For Sale" sign out front and Avonleah says:

Avonleah: Mom, we should totally buy that house!
Mom: Ummm, why would we want to buy that house, it's run down and needs a lot of repairs to even be liveable?
Avonleah: If we bought that house I could make wishes for days . . .!

Talk about optimism. . .no amount of explaining would convince her that dandelions were weeds . . .to her they are potential dreams waiting to be fulfilled.  I love this creatively quirky girl with all her drama and exuberance and zest for life!

No comments: