Sunday, July 15, 2012

4th of July 2012

It's been quite a few years since we celebrated the 4th of July here in Washington.  Usually we are in Utah visiting family at the Rohrer Family-Union so this was a new experience for us to see what kind of fun we could drum up here in our hometown.  The girls waited ever so patiently for the Ward Breakfast to start . . .but by 8:00 they'd read all the books, watched all the shows and had little snacks to tide them over so we started a picture taking session. . . 



 They giggled and laughed and tried so hard to both smile and look at the camera at the same time but with two wiggly, excited, and hungry girls you can only ask for so much!!
After the patriotic breakfast and the disappointment of not getting to sit in the fire truck because it got called out to a fire we headed to a little town nearby for a hometown 4th of July parade.  The girls had so much fun cheering and hoping for candy. . .I loved watching their little faces light up and how they stood so proudly and saluted our nation's flag everytime it came past us. 
 After the parade and a burger at Sonic (I know I'm lazy, but it was too hot to cook out and I really was craving a Sonic Vanilla Diet Dr. Pepper so what can I say?) we cooled off in the pool for a couple of hours.

 Later that evening we headed to our friend's home for a fun night of snacks, celebration and fireworks.  We celebrated the birthday of their daughter who passed away 7 years ago with cookies and cake and balloons and then the kids (there must have been at least 30+ kids there) ran wild until it finally got dark . . .at 9:30 PM aaaaahhhh!
Avonleah kept running with the sparklers like she was carrying the Olympic Torch or she'd hop on a scooter and ride with the sparkler trailing to the side singing crazy songs. . .she is so delightful to watch when she's enjoying herself, she just has this wild abandon that I have never seen before and it amazes me to see how much she enjoys just "being"  I love this wild child!
Of course Adelaide was done with everything by her normal bedtime and had no interest at all in "scary fire" . . .we tried to just set a sparkler in the grass by her so she could watch it sparkle and she screamed one of those terrified screams . . .poor thing is still petrified of fireworks. . .we may have to think of new ways to help her enjoy the 4th of July evening events next year since she seems a bit "tender" to such "dangerous" things . . .
Although we missed being with family, we had amazing friends fill in the gaps this year and we had a lot of fun just being together. . .I love being able to raise my children in a country where we can celebrate our freedom.  Happy Birthday America!

No comments: