Sunday, October 2, 2011

Messy Curly Bun Please and a little surprise?

 She wants to wear a "messy curly  bun" for upcoming picture day so we practiced and my goodness this girl is adorable!

 She just knows how to pose and she has such a "spontaneous delight" in her eyes, she is so amazing!
No way can she look away from the camera . . .she is so full of precociousness!

A little bragging is in order for this amazing daughter of ours.  So she's smart. . .I mean she really is intelligent and she loves learning and figuring out new things so of course we've always struggled to keep her stimulated intellectually while dealing with her very age appropriate emotional development (ha ha code for extreme impulsiveness!)  Last year as a Kindergartner they allowed her to go to a 1st grade class for reading and math and that really helped her but she's grown in leaps and bounds over the summer.  So her school had her tested for reading and math in the hopes to create an individual learning plan that would challenge her and keep her from acting out in boredom and frustration.  So the reading test checks her reading ability, comprehension, and speed and what do you know... she's a "genius!"  No, just kidding but she got 100% all the way up through 5th grade, and only missed one question on the 6th grade level.  The school has no available resources above 6th grade so they stopped testing but they are a little overwhelmed with those scores.  Next they tested math and apparently she's doing math at a third grade 5th month level . . .ha ha she is funny, you'd never even know it she's just a talkative delightful 6 year old on the outside.  So we had a big conference deciding what options were best for her, and since I'm really against skipping grades because she's so socially and emotionally 1st grade, we've decided to let her spend 1/2 the day in a second grade classroom where she'll travel to reading, math and science with their most accelerated group and she'll get to read and learn things that will challenge her on her testing level,  and then she'll get to spend the afternoon in her own 1st grade classroom working on social and emotional learning at her own level!  We're so excited for a program that will challenge her and help her be able to move forward at her own pace.  We are so blessed to have such a hard working child who loves to learn, I'm excited to see exactly what she'll choose to do with that love of learning and gift of knowledge she's been blessed with.  Someday she will hate me for this post!

1 comment:

Shari Steelsmith Duffin said...

I think that sounds like an excellent plan! Hi Kayrena. I'm up far too early (seminary mom) and am looking at blogs I haven't looked at in ages. We miss you guys! I get to see Kim this afternoon. One of the perks of being RS pres (there are precious few) is that I get to choose my VT. :) Have a good day.