Friday, April 1, 2011

Talent Show


Last fall I started teaching Avonleah to play the piano.  Let's just say that the beginning 3 months were a bit of a trial and error kind of process okay let's be honest it was like the most patience building experience I've yet encountered as a parent!.  Being the mom and the teacher creates certain challenges and something that requires as much sitting still and concentrating as piano is a huge challenge for little miss can't hold still.  Every lesson I find myself saying, "velcro yourself to that seat sistah!" or "plants those roots and stay still!"  Needless to say the beginning efforts were well worth it as I watch her now starting to develop a love of the piano and music in general.  I must admit that some days all I hear during practice time is glissando up and down the keyboard and since we have a digital piano when she does get to playing the songs she'll play it once in the organ setting and once in the harpsichord setting.  She's so darling.  Her school held auditions for the talent show and said they would only be picking 20 acts so I was really surprised at how gutsy she was about trying out.  Originally she wanted to sing "I Am A Child of God" . . .ummm pretty sure they aren't going to let you sing that at school, but go right ahead you little missionary you!  After some thought she decided she'd do piano.  She made the cut and was a perfect little performer today.  She really did do amazing, and since my camera did not work well during the actual talent show we recorded it at home just for all of you to see her great accomplishment!!! Just try to imagine how much effort it took her to play this in the right tempo. . .she wanted it to be the speed skaters she said!!

Click here to see her play!!!

1 comment:

Shauna said...

Wow Avonleah! Your talents are endless. We are so proud of you. You played the piano so well and you look beautiful! Way to go!
Ms. Kayrena, I miss you. We need to connect somehow. Hope you guys are well.