Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Aladdin's Beauty Salon.

I grew up the daughter of a cosmetologist and therefore the memories of my childhood include the smell of perms, hair dye, and bleach, the comforting hum of the dryer and the click click clicking of the comb and the scissors working simultaneously.  It amazed me as I sat in the other room eavesdropping on people sharing intimate details of their lives and getting comfort and reassurance from my mom as she transformed them from drab to fab!  I knew that it wasn't the profession I would choose but my sisters and I and sometimes even my little brother Darron would play beauty salon.  Since I've always been the great organizer and Emmalene has always really been in charge (wink wink) I got to be the receptionist and would answer the phone with "Hello, Aladdin's Beauty Salon, we have a whole new world of styles just for you!" We would do wild and crazy hairdos and waste all the hairspray and gel in the house.  Then we would sneak into mom's makeup and give each other makeovers.  I remember one day very clearly when my mom walked in on a makeup session and instead of getting upset she sat down and gave each of us girls a makeover.  It was so exciting because even though beauty products were part of our daily life we had strict rules about the appropriate age to wear certain kinds of makeup and clothing.   During this makeover she explained some very important rules of beauty to us.
If it takes you more than 30 minutes to get ready you're being vain!  Don't be that girl that fixes her hair in every mirror she passes!
You should never wear more than five accessories, including earrings, at a time (this did not work out in my Debbie Gibson bangle wearing years!)
True beauty comes from within and cannot be magically made with makeup so never overdo the makeup just because you're feeling bad about yourself. 
Walk as light as a feather ("kayrena stop stomping around like a bull in the china closet") and sit like a lady (ankles crossed not knees) and have confidence in yourself (I'm good enough I'm smart enough and dog gone it people like me!) and you'll be truly beautiful!
And don't forget that to your mother you are the most beautiful girls in the whole wide world.  I love a mother's love and how it makes you feel all warm and cozy inside.  I'm always my most powerful after hearing that my mom loves me just the way I am.

No comments: