
Some of the Blueberries and Peaches

Avonleah washing/eating the green beans

Every year growing up around August and September my brothers and sisters and I would spend our hot summer days sitting on the back steps popping boxes and boxes of green beans, peeling blanched and cooled peaches, and shucking dozens of ears of corn so we could replenish our food storage for the coming year. I used to try and hide when it was time for the corn because I was so scared of those ugly worms that are sometimes hiding inside, Shae would be so mad because he'd end up doing most of the corn himself (sorry Shae)! Grandma and all of the Aunts would gather in the kitchen with my Mom and spend days canning and canning. I honestly never really knew that green beans and corn and peaches came in cans in stores. . .seriously. . .I thought everyone in the world canned their own food. So this year I decided to get back to my roots and with the help of one of my really good friends I canned blueberries (okay my friend actually did the blueberries for me while I was at my reunion) but I did do the peaches with her and then I braved the pressure cooker and green beans all by myself. I did have to enlist Scott to help me with the first batch because I was freaking out that the pressure cooker was going to blow up and then after he was at work I had to put in a few calls to Grandma and Aunt Lannie for a little back up. . .I see why you need moral support while canning! Even though it was time consuming and new to me, I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I was done. I'm so appreciative and proud for the things my mother and grandmother instilled in me growing up, I am so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment