Sunday, July 12, 2009

Visit from the Treasure Hunter!


Paul Smith was somewhat of a surrogate father figure when I was little until my mom remarried. He was an amazingly fun man who would take us on treasure hunting adventures where we'd search for ancient Indian artifacts and pan for treasures in local creek beds. He encouraged us to create art and then entered it in the county fairs so we believed we were the next big Monets. He helped us learn how to properly care for a dog and other animals and really I think he gave my mom a break when she was single and raising my brother and I. We had so much fun with him and throughout my life Paul and I have kept in touch no matter where life has taken us. Recently he spent some time in the state of Washington and before moving he came and visited me and my little family. In honor of our treasure hunting days he brought a treasure box for Avonleah full of pottery, coins, pictures and other amazing finds so she could start her years of being and explorer. I am ever grateful for people who take it upon themselves to be mentors of children. I am grateful for all the people who filled in as positive male figures in my life before my mom married my wonderful Dad.

2 comments:

Erica Shurter said...

wow! that's great that you still keep in touch with them! My mom does too! :)

D and M said...

He is a truly amazing man. His wife is tops also. I have so much respect for both of them and what they did for me and those around me. I miss not seeing them when I go to Vernon. When they left it was like losing a huge part of the experience there. I am so glad you keep in touch with them. I wish I was so lucky!! Cherish it!! I am happy they are involved with your children. They will benefit so much from it. I know I did!!

Dylan