Saturday, March 1, 2008

Saturday Morning Cartoons!


Gone are the days when my brother and I would wake up at barely 5:oo am just as the sun was beginning to permeate the darkness and snuggle up to the old brown radio. We'd fiddle with the knobs and snap the antenna back and forth trying to get the reception perfect, with as little static as possible, as we'd prepared for Saturday morning cartoons over the airwaves. Much like Ms. Hannigan fawning over her radio lovers we would sit entranced, huddled over the antiquated little radio, while our imaginations brought to life the "gummi bears, bouncing here and there and everywhere" followed by Smurfette, Papa Smurf , Brainy Smurf and all the others outsmarting the evil wizard Gargomel. The pictures in our heads were so much better than the television re-runs we discovered later in life when our family finally purchased a real live color television! I still relish in the feelings of lazy Saturday mornings, no rushed breakfasts, no real schedule. It's wonderful to pass on this feeling of "laziness" to Avonleah. . .to watch her enjoy just being in the moment. . .and I get to sleep in for another hour while she lays entranced by Saturday morning cartoons.

1 comment:

curly girl said...

Wow, I didn't know the cartoons were on the radio when we were kids! The things you learn.

I, too, am a big fan of the Square Babysitter and squeezing out just 25 more minutes of "sleep" on Saturday mornings. Although, now the girls think they can make breakfast on their own, and most of the time, it's not worth the mess it creates, so I get up! Enjoy it while you can!