Sunday, November 7, 2010

Veteran's Day 2010

 We believe strongly in teaching our children about freedom and about being grateful for the freedom that is fought for and doesn't come free.  We try to instill a great sense of patriotism and love for our country and for those great men and women who fought and still fight for the things that we enjoy.
 We braved two hours of rain and cold to participate in the biggest Veteran's Day Parade west of the Mississippi (or so they said!)
 Lots of layers and lots of snacks made it all worthwhile
 Avonleah decided the stroller was a pretty great place to set up shop!
 Adelaide proudly waved her little flag at all the passerby's
 This entry made me break down in tears as row after row of banners displaying those who have died fighting in Iraq/Afghanistan passed by us
 I know I shouldn't post a picture of a backwards facing flag but in trying to figure out what these creative ladies were displaying I missed the front view
 Avonleah was pretty surprised that bagpipe wearers really wore skirts!!
Ahem . . .Captain America and his horse here were riding around asking for donations for disabled vets and I couldn't help but take a shot. . .srsly you can't make these things up!!!

All in all it was pretty amazing and lots of fun even though we were soaking wet  and freezing by the end. . .only in Washington do you get the grand opportunity to go to parades in the rain!!!

No comments: