In my attempt to be the ultimate super mom (which most days I fail miserably as) I tend to over analyze and overdo most things. Most often this includes holidays, I guess I have an inferiority complex from the grandiose ultimately perfect in almost every way holidays I remember from my youth. Granted I may have blocked out the unfortunate bad parts . . .but that's part of growing up right, live and let go!!! Anyway, I've been trying to instill some family Thanksgiving traditions in my own family now. So thus far we have these.
We make Pilgrim Hats, Native American headresses, and Turkey headbands and do a little acting out of the First Thanksgiving story . . .
Of course there is the food. . .Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, delicious salad, vegetable trays, pecan pie for me and pumpkin pie for everyone else, sweet potato casserole for Scott, etc. etc. . .
A month of crafting to decorate our Thanksgiving wall
| Learning and singing all the Thanksgiving songs both serious and silly! |
We each add a link to our gratitude chain each day until Thanksgiving and then on Thanksgiving Day we make a Gratitude Book . . .here's links to our previous years books
We watch parts of the Thanksgiving Day Parade on television, and try to incorporate a service activity for those less fortunate than ourselves and in Scott's ideal world we attend a Turkey Bowl yearly. . .ahem, we'll see about that!
So what do you all do? What traditions have been your family's favorites?
No comments:
Post a Comment