Sunday, September 20, 2009

Animal Genius?!

Avonleah, and when I say "Avonleah" I really mean "Mom" read something like 100 hours this past summer for our local library's "Get Creative" Reading Program. For her perseverance she was rewarded with a free pass to the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium.
So we waited for a weekend when Scott wasn't schooling or working and packed up our little car with stroller, granola bars, apples and juice boxes and headed to Tacoma for the day. I will say that until this day I have taken the marriage saving power of a GPS unit in the vehicle for granted. Our was on the fritz and let's just say getting lost was a little bit of an adventure. . .in patience!
I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but Avonleah is somewhat of an animal expertise. She's always telling us amazing animal facts about animals such as, penguins and chickens are some of the only species of birds that can't fly, or that Peetree from Land Before Time is not actually a pterodactyl, but a pteranodon or that the Killer Whale is actually an Orca. It's really quite ridiculous and I'm burning out on reading those animal facts cards we salvaged from the Target $1 bins. Anyway, she of course whipped out her animal genius at the bird exhibit and was schooling us on "nocturnal" animals. She is such a fun little 4 year old.
Adelaide thought the underground aquarium part of the zoo was pretty cool and did like the touch tank with Avonleah but was mostly interested in drinking up her rice and squash while chilling in her stroller or in the sling.
The greatest treat of the day was when this kind camel gave Avonleah a smooth ride! According to her it's a much smoother ride than a horse.
So after walking and walking over hills and over dales (what the heck is a "dale" anyway?), we finished up at the kiddie playground part and then got a slushee on the way home! Thanks Avonleah/Mom for all your hard work in earning this fun trip!

No comments: