During my husband and I's dating years he was surprisingly inventive and romantic, especially around the holidays, always showering me with affectionate and personal sentiments and gifts. Like any other naive girl I got caught up in the dream that this behavior would last forever, that he wasn't just trying to "seal the deal," that Cinderella really did get to go live in the castle with the prince and the little mice got to go too, and when she rode off into the sunset in the pumpkin coach her and the prince magically melted into a romantic kissing session. Ironically enough my life instead has become a series of Monopoly-ish moments, in fact I think that this year my husband felt that he had racked up enough get out of jail free cards to pass go a hundred times collecting the $200 and never stopping on the income tax payment square. What I'm trying to say is that he conveniently forgot Valentine's Day. . .even though I posted a countdown on our blog, reminded him every day for two weeks, pasted hearts and heart shaped crafts all around our home, made heart shaped pancakes . . .NOPE, I didn't even get a post-it note saying "hi happy valentines day" or "sorry I forgot and I'm a jerk", there was not a candy, no chocolates, nothing. So on this ultra sacred special holiday all women have a love/hate relationship with, I did what any self respecting girl would do. . .I kicked him out of the house for the day. . .well almost the whole day, I couldn't be reminded of the shamefully sinful fallacy he performed by abandoning the holiday without even consulting me. . .although even with consultation I admit I would never have agreed to blowing of Valentine's Day.

By evening time I had to wipe my tears and remember that I had promised to sell my wounded soul to the church party which was ironically themed "Keeping Marriage Magical." I put on my smile, took a deep breath and in the spirit of keeping my "marriage magical" I celebrated the evening with as much gusto as I had when I called it "Single Awareness Day!" There were good laughs at the expense of my husband and I must say that my friend's all felt very lucky at their own husband's attempts to celebrate this holiday of all holidays . . .a holiday that could have only been created by a woman, since no man alive would submit himself to such scrutiny and sacrifice. . .BUT I will never give up the dream of a cinderella ending and of course my husband is on eggshells until he plans and carries out the ultimate happy-not-valentine's-day date full of I-will-never-forget-again apologies!
3 comments:
Looks like I beat you to the commenting. I like what you do with your blog, you will have to teach me how to do some of this stuff. call me some time so we can hang.
Ok... So I have similar feelings on the whole Valentines Day thing. Nathan and I have resorted to not celebrating it.... sort of. You look amazing and I miss ya! Happy VD to you! XOXO
OH, girl, you make me laugh. I love your writing style. At least your husband used to try. Looking back, I'm not sure how P pursuaded me to marry him...he says I was desperate. The upside is that I expect nothing, so the disappointments are few. Maybe Scott just feels that every day is Valentine's day with you, so why celebrate on just one day out of the year?! (Sorry, Scott, I tried to help...)
Post a Comment