Monday, January 7, 2008

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve has always been one of my favorite times of the Holiday Season. I remember always feeling so excited that we'd all be together sitting around the sparkly Christmas Tree, engulfed in it's tangy pine scent, listening as Dad read the Nativity and always wondering why it was that Emmalene always got to play Mary and I always ended up being a wiseman or a sheep. I loved how we sat and sang Christmas Carols and half of us complained about it but participated anyway. We watched all the old Christmas movies like White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, and A Christmas Story. Mom always prepared a delicious dinner and had holiday candies and goodies setting out so we each would have no choice but to gain the dreaded 15 holiday pounds. I relished in waiting to see if I could hear Santa's reindeer on the roof and wondered if I "believed" and would hear those magical sleigh bells still. This year was no exception, it was definitely the most "magical" Christmas I've ever had. Christmas Eve is a moment of deep reflection for me because my little Avonleah was born on this day. I remember thinking of how Mary must have felt being so pregnant and having to ride on a donkey all the way to Bethlehem with no family to help her, just her loving Joseph. I wonder what it must have been like to give birth in a stable. I am truly grateful for this beautiful season, for moments of reflection, for finding the true meaning of Christmas and for the chance to just believe.

No comments: