Saturday, August 4, 2012

Accidental Acquainting!

Avonleah is my child who questions EVERYTHING in life, she wants to know why things are the way they are and how they work, she is very good at putting all the pieces together to figure out the answers to many of life's great questions in a very logically scary way sometimes.  Just this week we've had some fun conversations . . .hmmm

After watching a weird documentary on the Discovery Channel about the supposed "discovery of a mermaid" we had a great conversation about how there are probably many species of things we have yet to discover but as far as Human-like species we believe that God created all humans in his likeness.  She sat thinking for a minute and here's what she had to say,

Avonleah: So I think actually mermaids could actually be possible because . . .if a dolphin "accidently acquainted" with like a scuba diving person the offspring would be mermaid like and then a whole new species would be formed.
Me: Ummm (not sure how to tell her that animals and humans don't "accidently acquaint" . . .where did she even get that wording of things?) Well honey animals don't really mate with other species accidently
Avonleah: Well what about a liger?  In National Geographic they showed a species called a liger where a tiger and a lion mated and they had a liger.
Me: Well they were  both cat species and they were forced to mate. . .(I'm getting nervous at this point)
 Avonleah: Well I still think mermaids could be a possibility

Scott and I had a great laugh that evening talking about "accidental acquaintances!"

And here's yesterday's conversation

Avonleah:This worksheet says I'm supposed to say what's fantasy and what's reality . . .how can you really know what is for sure real or not
Scott: Well if you've actually seen something with your own eyes I would say it's nonfiction and if not then it's fiction . . .so if you haven't actually seen a fairy then it's probably fiction. Of course we know that with spiritual things like Heavenly Father and Jesuswe know they're real because of faith and the gift of knowing the truth through the Holy Ghost.
Avonleah:Well I've never actually seen a chicken lay an egg or a cat play with a ball of yarn so those ones must be fiction . . .
Scott: *facepalm*

This girl is gonna be a load of fun for her teachers!

2 comments:

Lexi said...

Oh my gosh this post was awesome!

*Molli* said...

Absolutely SO FUNNY! Wish the "accidental aquainting" could be an explanation in my household but prob not. LOL. Your girls are adorable and I am always inspired to be a better mother when I read your blog or talk to you. You are a steadfast example of what it is to be "A Mother that Knows" and teaches her children the gospel. I love you heaps! Kiss and snuggle those sweet girls for me and give Scott a hug. xoxo from my heart to yours.