Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th Of July

She borrowed Scott's "Ice Man" shades while watching the parade
Sweet Adelaide enjoying the shade She said, "See mom, Snow Thunder listens to me cuz I'm a real cowgirl!"Cooling off in the pool (Mom and Adelaide are inside napping:)Getting ready for sparklers and pop-its!We were trying to get a family picture. . .not even one of the 7 turned out . . .oh well!
I was blessed to have a mother who has always been amazingly patriotic, she loves this country and especially loves the 4th of July holiday! She has the amazing ability to display an overly abundant number of flags without them looking tacky and she taught us to treasure our freedom, to honor our soldiers, and to love our beautiful country. I have tried to carry the tradition on with my family in the hopes that the 4th of July will not just be about fireworks and parades but that my girls will also treasure this great country we live in with all it's freedom and democratic processes! I was reflecting on the words of the patriotic song, "America, the Beautiful" and the words of the 3rd verse really brought tears to my eyes this year as I think of all the great men and women who have fought and are still fighting to bless us with the freedom I so treasure today. The verse says, O beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife. Who more than self their country loved, and mercy more than life! America! America! May God thy gold refine till all success be nobleness and every gain divine! Happy 4th of July!

3 comments:

Erica Shurter said...

Too fun... and I still think your family picture is cute! :)

ROARleagueOFjustUS said...

i'd be her wingman anytime (cool girl in the ice man shades)! love the 4th pix anyway . . . we didn't even attempt the full fam shot (we gotta start remembering this stuff)so g'job! can't wait to hold adelaide and gnaw on her just a little tiny bit!

Laura said...

Again, when can that mother of yours adopt another grown child? I promise to behave and listen and obey!
That 3rd verse in America the Beautiful gets me every time, thinking of those who are presently sacrificing so much, and those who have gone on before us is the ultimate act of public virtue. Not to mention the families of those who stay behind to keep things going--we owe them so much of our respect and love.